12 PACK, 750ml BOTTLES, $50.99 EACH
Napa Valley, United States
Hess takes care in farming the Su'skol vineyard in order to develop fruit with bright acidity and balance, and to showcase the impact of the moderate temperatures influenced by nearby San Pablo Bay. Hess chooses to focus on the aromatic and delicate musqué clone, which requires a light touch with both oak and malolactic fermentation. In order to highlight this beautiful clonal material, they put 70% of the blend through stainless fermentation, which helps retain fresh flavors of white pear and green apple, as well as preserves the wine’s natural acidity. So as not to overwhelm the blend, the remaining 30% sees a light touch of oak–19% new French oak–and only 30% of the overall blend is allowed to undergo secondary fermentation. Aging the wine nine months in barrel with lees stirred monthly for four months helps create a complexity in this wine. This estate Chardonnay offers elegant aromas of jasmine and honeysuckle, which harmonize with delicious flavors of melon and stone fruits all enveloped in a beautiful finish of baking spice and toasted oak.
90 Points, Natalie Maclean
Winemaker Dave Guffy selects from nine different clones to craft this California Chard fragrant and bright with ripe apple, pear, citrus zest and vanilla flavours vibrant and silky on the palate. Chill and enjoy with a grilled pork tenderloin.